i-genius, connecting Asia.
The i-genius Asia Summit on Social Entrepreneurship (Bangkok, 2012) connected social entrepreneurs and stake holders from 16 countries with the aim of elevating social enterprise in the region to a higher level. Read below for more information on the challenges, report, film, photos and exclusive ibook summary brochure.
Asia Summit Summary
The Summit was opened by Chris Gibson, British Council Country Director, Thailand, who was followed by Prof. Kriegnsak Chareonwongsak, Chair Social Entrepreneur Institute, Thailand, who set out 12 recommendations on how to raise social entrepreneurship to a new level in Aisa, including education, ease of registration, procurement, media, mobilising finance, networking and promotions. i-genius founder, Tommy Hutchinson, presented the findings of i-genius’ regional survey.
Seven key challenges were presented by:
1) SWOT ASIA (Romy Cahyadi, Indonesia)
2) CUSTOMERS FIRST (Sunit Shrestha, Thailand, and Vincent Rapisura, Philippines)
3) SKILLS AND KNOW-HOW (Yuan Gu, China)
4) BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEEN SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS AND FINANCERS (Vincent Rapisura and Edwin Salonga, Philippines)
5) DESIGNING A LEGAL AND REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR GOVERNMENTS (Penny Low MP, Singapore)
6) DEVELOPING NETWORKS, PARTNERSHIPS AND ENGAGING STAKE HOLDERS (Edward Rubesch, Thailand)
7) GOOD COMMUNICATIONS (Kristine Oustrup, Singapore)
The Summit was presented with three case studies:
+ Roberto Cristostomo, Seed Core, Philippines
+ Huang Ke, V-Roof, China
+ Orapin Sinamonvech, Koko Board, Thailand
The latter two, part of the E-idea initiative, were accompanied by Peredur Evans, British Council Thailand, and Ari Sutanti, British Council Indonesia.
Participants attended a reception on the first evening at the stunning Latitude Lounge bar overlooking Bangkok and a final evening dinner at the award winning Cabbages & Condoms restaurant.
i-genius would like to thank all participants for their enthusiasm and excellent contributions. A special thanks to the British Council for their kind sponsorship and to partner organisations: SEDPI, Change Fusion, Global Social Venture, YourStory, Synergy Social Ventures, Centre for Sustainable Enterprise, Qi Global, FYSE, and Social Innovation Park.
The question posed, ‘Is Asia up to the challenge?’ Answer: ‘Yes, it is!’
Asia Summit Media
Asia Summit film: Play Video
Photos: Day 1 | Day 2 | EASEN Workshop
Asia Survey: View Results
Asia Summit Summary Report: Read Report